PDA

View Full Version : We need everyones input.

2ndAmend
02-14-2011, 04:17 AM
Please share your most secret ways of bagging a deer by bow or gun. We know there are too many things on the market that are used for scent hiding or luring in a buck. I think we can all agree what we see in a Cabelas catalog is what most people are using. We need to help are local gun shops that carry many of the same items as Cabelas but not in terms of MASSIVE profits. It is so easy to go online click add to cart and buy from Cabelas, basspro, ect. The problem is you hurt your small town shops by doing that. What happens when the internet shuts down due to government control? Where will you get the ammo for your rifle, pistol and arrows for your bow? We need to strengthen our shop friends so we can drive to a shop that has the basic needs of the Hunter in mind. Even though this is an internet driven project at GunNook.com we are here for the hunter, the sportsman, and the shop owners. We need to keep our deer hunting heritage alive by sharing ideas and teaching our children what we have learned about hunting and keeping the local hunting-gun shop alive. I remember as a teenager browsing the products of my local shop and it was easy, the shop owner knew what people needed and stocked it. Even the shop owner was a person that picked up on the ideas of the customer. Please help us keep deer hunting as a heritage and not a profit for big stores. Also If you can share your ideas with us here on ways to improve our deer hunting tactics without using high dollar technology that makes it too easy. Thanks everyone out there.

Souldat
02-14-2011, 04:23 AM
This is a good point.. I'm all for support for our local gun shops. So what if you have to pay $10.00 dollars more. As for all the high tech tactics I think it takes the fun out of the hunt.

2ndAmend
02-14-2011, 04:58 AM
Well I meant it was taking away from our children the knowlege of true hunting tactics. I like my military tech equipment but the deer has no chance of survival against that. My dad told me stories of when he was a teenager that it took the whole deer season to find and kill a deer. with ATV riding you can cover an entire hunting area multiple times increasing seeing a deer by 100% compared to on foot only hunting.

prestoncohunter
02-14-2011, 09:04 AM
No chance of survival.. I got a giggle from that one. I suppose if you poached at night using night vision, etc that might be true but not ethical for someone actually hunting.

Equipment is only a small part of the equation, woodsmanship is the bigger question. Yes a ATV you can cover more ground but deer quickly learn ATV means danger and will avoid them. When your Dad took a whole season to find a deer, the big difference was there were less deer by a huge amount. In WV in the 50's there were very few deer, but good management has the deer herd at much higher levels than it was then, it was even higher in the late 80's but it (the deer herd) was larger than the land could support so seasons were expanded to reduce the herd.

Compound bows still have to get with in 30 yards for a ethical shot, sure they can kill further than that but for the most part a good archer will limit his/her range to 30 and in so they have a good shot.

Yes with good optics and quality gun I can take a deer at 300 yards and know some guys who can take a deer at 500 with no problems. BUT if you don't shoot alot at long ranges you aren't going to kill many deer. Good equipment only gets you so far but knowing how to move in the woods and good trigger control will get you much further. A good woodsman will kill more deer with a open sight 30-30 than a poor woodsman with all the high tech bells and whistles. Killing a deer at even 100 yards that is constantly moving, changing shot angles, etc is a lot different than punching a paper target. Plus you have to get with in the range first (back to woodsmanship).

Hope I didn't step on any toes, but tech will only get you so far. Remember you are trying to take a critter in his bedroom where it knows every rock and tree and when you step in it's domain you stick out like a sore thumb. Just imagine if someone sneaks in your bedroom you sure as heck are going to notice, same thing.

prestoncohunter
02-14-2011, 09:42 AM
I probably got a bit sidetracked with my other post. As far as secrets go, it really is pretty simple. Scout-know the deers travel patterns, wind-always hunt with the wind in your favor (not a believer in ScentLoc actually working), scout-know what they are eating, weapon-know what it does at every reasonable range(bullet drop, reading the crosswind, etc), scout-know where they head when people hit the woods, slow down-moving slow and easy. Oh did I mention scout, LOL.

Now, you can probably bag a 18 month old buck (first set of horns) without near as much work, cause they are like a teenage boy on his first hot date, liable to do just about anything, but if you are looking for that mossy horned mature buck it's a whole different deal and you better be on your A game because he won't make two mistakes, you have to make his 1 mistake work in your favor.

Souldat
02-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Hope I didn't step on any toes, but tech will only get you so far. Remember you are trying to take a critter in his bedroom where it knows every rock and tree and when you step in it's domain you stick out like a sore thumb. Just imagine if someone sneaks in your bedroom you sure as heck are going to notice, same thing.

Never that prestoncohunter we welcome all feedback :P

AK_survivaljunkie
02-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Some interesting ideas in this thread. Can't wait to read more. as preston said I would imagine it mostly comes down to understanding the animal and the environment you're in. If you just decide to start hunting at any random spot without foreknowledge of the area you probably won't be very successful. Sure, you can make use of all the fancy odor maskers and such but a hundred years ago our ancestors didn't have all of that and they did okay, all they had to go on was patience, time, and knowledge.

2ndAmend
02-15-2011, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the input guys. We need to share all we can on these forums. For the record I have never poached a deer with my night vision, smoke grenades, sky flares, or assault weapons. I cant imagine fragging a deer but it would be quite tenderized. Thanks prestoncohunter for the funny remark. Deer hunters are competitive and poaching does go on alot. I have seen many headless deer along the road that are poached in the am hours by flashlight. Those people SUCK.

AK_survivaljunkie
02-18-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the input guys. We need to share all we can on these forums. For the record I have never poached a deer with my night vision, smoke grenades, sky flares, or assault weapons. I cant imagine fragging a deer but it would be quite tenderized. Thanks prestoncohunter for the funny remark. Deer hunters are competitive and poaching does go on alot. I have seen many headless deer along the road that are poached in the am hours by flashlight. Those people SUCK.

I was always raised to believe that you you should only kill an animal if you need it for food, not for a trophy item. Anyone who would shoot an animal just for the hide or antlers needs shot themselves. Fair is fair after all, let the deer shoot you so he can mount your head on the wall and leave your body on the side of the road. Legality aside, I have no issue with using any method you feel is necessary for a kill, so long as it is respectful, quick, and safe for anyone or anything not intended as the target.

lesclifton
05-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Well............don't know if I have any magic tricks or potions, but during my hunt I always keep one thing in mind.....PATIENCE! I was raised to hunt and wait all day if needed for my prey to come in. Sure there are many tools out there now to use such as scent blockers, cameras, tree stands, calls, etc but I like doing it the ole' fashioned way. I guess that is why I never had a problem in US Army sniper school, because I was used to sitting there all day, or stalking if needed. I tend to stick to the basics. I agree with PrestonHunter......you need to just be knowledgeable of both the wildlife and your equipment, as well as safety. I see too many killed hunting needlessly. I cannot count the number of times that after in a position all day I would get up to leave and have deer run everywhere. They are smart and more patient that the majority of people. I know I am preaching to the choir. I am not concerned with killing a trophy per say, but I will also let the young pass. I do strive to get a mature deer, but the end result is the same........meat in the freezer!