PDA

View Full Version : Water filters

sasquatch
04-11-2011, 05:16 PM
I was checking out portable water filters for my survival kit and watched a video for the Katadyn Pocket filter. It seems to be about the best out there. I'm thinking, "Wow I gotta get me one of these!" So I started checking on-line....$300+!!!...and almost $200 for replacement filters! Ouch! My bank account! But I'll probably save up for one anyways, they do have a life time warranty and can filter about 10,000 gallons of water without replacing the filter. Any of you guys know of a good cheaper option?

AK_survivaljunkie
04-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Well, given that the recommended daily consumption is one US gallon or approximately 3.785 metric liters 10,000 gallons filter life is just over 27 years of straight usage for a single person. Even if you were filtering water for a family of four you'd get almost 7 years of use out of a single filter. I'd say that's pretty reasonable for that price considering most cheap filters are only good for around 50-100 gallons. The frequency of filter changes in the cheaper models would probably average the same or more overall cost in the long term. Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to check this product out.

sasquatch
04-13-2011, 04:20 PM
You're right, probably well worth the cash spent. I wrote an article on Water in a survival situation that's being published on the main site in the near future, I included a video about the Katadyn Pocket and some other filters in it.

sasquatch
04-24-2011, 01:36 AM
So, I have one of those Brita water filtration pitchers. I was looking at the filter refills for it and got to thinking it might be good to include a couple in my survival pack. Then I started thinking of how to use it, I figure I could attach a reservoir to pour water into the top of it to make a gravity feed filter. I've taken them apart before and all that's in these filter is activated charcoal. It doesn't filter out bacteria or viruses, but it does reduce heavy metals, particulate matter, and pesticides, then you could boil the filtered water as an extra layer of protection. Or you could chemically treat the water with chlorine or iodine then put it through the filter to remove most of the chemical and taste.

AK_survivaljunkie
04-26-2011, 11:47 PM
It may not be a viable option but it might be possible to make a small portable still, no filters needed. As a benefit you'd have the ability to make small amounts of alcohol (just need sugar and yeast) in a survival situation which could be invaluable. I don't think it should be too much trouble to make a small still the size of a campfire coffee kettle, just use high temperature vinyl hose instead of copper tube. Just thinking aloud here, it may be a completely stupid idea.

sasquatch
04-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Actually, it sounds like a great idea, AK. Make a small portable still, that breaks down and can be carried easily. Use it to distill water or make spirits. The alcohol you make would make a great barter item. Don't know If I'd use vinyl tubing though, I'd stick to some short lengths and coils of copper tubing to be safe. I'll have to look into finding blue prints for one or designing one myself.

sasquatch
04-27-2011, 04:30 PM
I found some plans on-line for a tea kettle still. Might not be all that portable though, but you could probably make it more modular by making couplings for the copper tubing and using high temp silicone seals. The plans aren't all that clear and there's no pics, but anyone with a little mechanical ability should be able to figure it out. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Water-Still

AK_survivaljunkie
04-28-2011, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the link, I'll have to check it out. Ideally copper would be better but I'd be concerned with extra pack size and weight. I was thinking of something similar to the vinyl/silicone lines they use in automatic coffee makers, they usually connect directly to the heating element/plate and are designed for high temperatures. If you could manage copper it would definitely be better. I hadn't considered the alcohol as a barter item, more as a first aid supply, but I guess that would be as good a use as any. Just be sure if you try this you know what you're doing and know the difference between ethanol and methanol.

sasquatch
04-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Yep, you definitely don't want to go blind or poison yourself. The thing about the vinyl/silicone tubing, I don't know if it would allow the steam to condense properly. I think silicone is chemically inert, but vinyl may taint any alcohol or distilled water you make through it. I'm gonna do a little more research on this.

sasquatch
04-28-2011, 12:48 PM
OK, I found this. Looks easy to make.

http://www.individualism.asia/images/distillers.jpg

Don't know about distilling alcohol with this, but it looks great for purifying water. I guarantee I could easily make a smaller, more portable version of it too.