PDA

View Full Version : My new S&W M500.....what a beast!

lesclifton
06-13-2011, 06:47 PM
I ordered me a 500 S&W MAgnum with a 4" barrel. I sold my other hunting carry pistol for some crazy reason, and decided I would be like "Emeril" and kick it up a notch with this horse.

lesclifton
06-13-2011, 06:48 PM
https://members.gunnook.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=256&d=1308008701

sasquatch
06-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Congrats, Les. Now that's a hand cannon! Ya gotta love a big nasty revolver like that. I was looking at a S&W 460 XVR on-line the other day. I like the fact that it shoots not only .460 S&W Mag, but it can also shoot 454 Casull and 45 Colt, that's just awesome.

lesclifton
06-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks Sasquatch. Those are awesome and I looked at those as well. I chose this one due to it's 4 inch barrel, which will make it easier to carry during hunting season and also having the added compensation at the end. I look forward in shooting it this weekend.

Souldat
06-18-2011, 06:47 AM
That's a sweet gun bro

sasquatch
06-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Let us know how it shoots. Looking forward to a range report.

lesclifton
06-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Thanks Souldat, I did get to shoot this monster today. This firearm shoots well although it does shoot a little low at 40 yards. I fired Magtech 275gr jacketed hollow points. The recoil was not at all what I imagined, I am sure more with heavier loads. I have shot so many different types of weapons both domestic and foreign (while training with foreign militaries) This one takes the cake for me for a revolver. The recoil is more of a straight back recoil in which I was worried about with this 4" barrel, I thought there would be much more muzzle jump. The compensator must do its job well. I do hold high on the grip when large caliber revolvers to aid in recoikl management. The standard grips are very comfortable and easy to hold and get the same grip every time. I do alot of longe range shooting, both civilian and for uncle sam so I always have to do crazy things like 125 yard shots with a 4" 500 S&W, LOL. The best thing about this is the consistency. I was able to hit an E-type sillouhette all 5 times with this at 125 yards after finding the sweet spot. The E-type sil. is a military target with a full body figure from the "waist" up. I only shot in SA, and the trigger is very easy and smooth. I did dry fire DA and although tough, (as to be expected) the trigger and action was smoother than most revolvers such as my 637 and 642. I am shooting from ther hip on this review as I am doing this from an IPAD, so it is very difficult to work with, so I apologize in advance.

lesclifton
06-18-2011, 05:48 PM
I am planning on doing some video of some of my shoots and post them in the near future. By no means of the imagination professional video, just something to give folks an idea and a refence of recoil, flaws, and or accuracy.

Souldat
06-18-2011, 08:43 PM
I am planning on doing some video of some of my shoots and post them in the near future. By no means of the imagination professional video, just something to give folks an idea and a refence of recoil, flaws, and or accuracy.

That would be awesome man. Let me know when you get it done looking forward to it.

sasquatch
06-19-2011, 01:09 AM
Sounds like a great shooter Les. I heard that S&W precision balances the frames on the 500 and 460 series of revolvers to reduce the recoil. I bet with those compensators it would look pretty wicked if you fired the gun at night.:D Thanks for the report, definitely looking forward to the video.

colbyslanbia
08-22-2013, 06:19 AM
that's looks beauty man