<br />
Subject: Fwd: Glock (Officer-SAFETY) <br />
<br />
SENT TO ME FROM THE DEA.............. <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
It happen one in a million but it happen...

sasquatch
06-29-2011, 11:07 PM
This is a medical condition known as "Glock Leg". I know a lot of people swear by Glock, but I'm not one of them. I just don't trust a gun without a manual safety. It's way too easy to hit the bang switch accidentally.

Souldat
06-30-2011, 04:50 AM
Yea I have a Glock and not real crazy about the glock safety trigger. Thanks for posting about this Les. I had a buddy of mine just shot his self in the Leg last week with his Kar 9mm. You can never be to safe.

sasquatch
06-30-2011, 01:02 PM
I'm a big subscriber to "the safety between your ears", but as in Les's post, equipment can fail causing an accident. Was it the holster, the gun, or the user? Maybe a bit of all three was to blame, but if the gun had a manual safety engaged would the subject have a hole in his leg?

AK_survivaljunkie
07-01-2011, 09:46 AM
That would have scared the shit out of me. I'm glad he wasn't seriously injured, that could have been much worse. How often does this happen?

sasquatch
07-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Well, you hear about Glocks going kaboom, stove-piping, and generally malfunctioning all the time. But you also have to account for the shear number of Glocks out there, probably more than any other brand and with that many in use of course some are going to malfunction. It is after all a mechanical device with moving parts, nothing mechanical is infallible. There are reports of Glocks failing to cycle due to limp-wristing or during combat movement, but then again you get people who are completely satisfied with their Glock, heck, a lot of law enforcement use Glocks exclusively. You've also got the whole problem they had with the 1st Gen Glock 22 that didn't fully support the .40 S&W cartridge and tended to go boom, of course some of those instances were caused by reloaded, over-pressured rounds or lead fouling in the barrel. So it seems to me a hit or miss issue based on certain circumstances. Still wouldn't own a Glock myself, but I won't begrudge anybody their choice of firearm.

lesclifton
07-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Yes, that was a disaster and could have been way worse. I was not a glock fan up til a couple years ago, and like Sasquatch the biggest dislike is the lack of an external safety. I did install a sider lock on mine though which does add an external saftey (so to speak) and it does not slow down the first shot time as the safety is right on the trigger, it can be found at http://www.siderlock.com/. I do believe many folks know how to handle their firearms, but do become complacent and tend to lose a little respect for such a poerful tool. Glock is not my favorite but is up their on my list, and for those that carry locks, I do recommend this safety. I have never had a problem with them on any of my 6 glocks. Just my 2 cents.

http://www.siderlock.com/

sasquatch
07-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks Les, that is a great product! I wonder if it will fit a S&W Sigma? How much do they cost? Been thinking about getting a Sigma for a range gun because they're cheap, just couldn't get past the Glock style with no manual safety. But if one of these will fit it I might be back in the market.

lesclifton
07-04-2011, 08:50 PM
I'm not sure. I'll do some research and find out. I am sure that because there are such similarities, one could retrofit these to work, if there not out there for them already. When i got mine they were right around the $70 range.

sasquatch
07-04-2011, 11:21 PM
Yeah, I wasn't able to find anything about the Siderlock and the Sigma.