PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking about joining the Army

Souldat
07-02-2011, 03:18 PM
I know it's a little late in the game as I'm 31 with a Wife and 2 kids. However I would like to get into some type of gunsmithing. I can't afford the PA Gun Smith school so I was looking at (Small Arms/Artillery Repairer) in the Army. However I can't help but feel a calling for Infantryman. I know we have a few members of the armed forces here so I'm looking for a little feed back. :)

sasquatch
07-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Well, as you said, it's late in the game, and you have to consider that you have a family, will they be ok with you being away for extended periods of time or a foreign deployment? Maybe think about joining the National Guard, where you'll only be away for a couple weekends a month. You'll still receive training and get money to go to that PA Gun Smithing school too. You may still be deployed in the NG too, my buddy in the NG just got back from the sand box several months ago, but considering our military involvement overseas is coming to a close for now, it isn't too likely. Just an option you might want to check out.

lesclifton
07-04-2011, 01:48 PM
If you really want the truth about the aRMY AND THE DETAILS, GIVE ME A BUZZ. i HAVE BEEN AN INFANTRYMAN FOR ALMOST 20 YEARS. iT'S never TOO LATE. Like everything in life there are pro's and con's.......weigh them out and see what will be more advantageous for you and your family. The army has changed drastically in the 20- years I have been in. Basic Training is not as it used to be. The hardest part of basic training is to be away from your family.......but when you get to your first duty station and can have your family with you, then army life is great, (once you and your family get used to it). I do not regret joining and would do it again. I would not have been able tyo pay for the college i HAVE received nor would I have had the opportunity to be in 28 different countries throughout my career, granted not all of them I would go back to:), but it is an experience of a lifetime.

Souldat
07-05-2011, 09:30 AM
I'll do that Les, I'll try and give you a call sometime this week. Also thanks for all the info..