PDA

View Full Version : .22 LR Bulk Ammo

sasquatch
12-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Since I've recently been on a search for a good bulk .22 ammo, I started thinking I should start this thread. Just list some .22 bulk ammo you have experience with, the good and the bad and what gun you used it with.

As with most bulk ammo you'll get a few duds in each box, sometimes you'll get a lot of duds depending on different production runs. But that's how bulk ammo usually works, it's cheap, you get a lot of it, and quality control is an after thought.

I'll start with the Remington Golden Bullet 36gr,brass plated, hollow points in a 525 rd. bulk pack.

http://www.natchezshooterssupplies.com/images/products/RT21250.jpg
I've shot these out of my Savage 3D single shot, bolt action rifle with no problems, but my S&W 22A pistol absolutely hates them. They are also dirty, causing a lot of carbon build up after firing. You'll get quite a few "dud's" in one of these packs too and they don't keep well. They are my least favorite and I doubt I'll buy them again.

The next is Federal's Value Pack ammo, 36gr, plated hollow points, 525 rd box.

http://cdn6.luckygunner.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/dcf52121e57c42dc65f65486db5f138c/c/a/capture2.jpg
I've probably shot more of this than any other .22lr ammo. They shot really well and are accurate in my rifle. They aren't all that clean but are way better than the Remingtons. Haven't shot any through my 22A pistol yet.

I recently picked up some CCI Blazer bulk. They're 40gr lead, round nosed in a 525rd box.

http://www.northwestshootersupply.com/images/products/detail/cci_45826.jpg
I have to say, CCI is my favorite .22lr ammo. I've used the CCI Mini-Mags and Stingers, both are excellent. These Blazers are basically the CCI mini-mags without the copper coating. The lead of the bullets is coated with wax-like lubricant, I thought this might cause gumming up or fouling, after running them through my 22A pistol I've found that you get some of the stuff on the feed ramp and around the breech, but not enough to cause problems. Just be sure to thoroughly clean your firearm after use. They burn really clean, probably the cleanest bulk ammo I've used so far. My rifle likes them just fine and they feed well in my 22A.

sasquatch
12-27-2011, 12:17 AM
I've shot a lot more of the CCI Blazer ammo in my 22A today. The lubricant used on the lead bullet definitely builds up on the feed ramp and around the chamber. It shoots fine, just be careful and look at your feed ramp every now and then and clear it of any gunk.

lesclifton
12-30-2011, 08:01 PM
The 22As definatley like a copper plated bullet best.....or at least mine did. Although most 22LR ammo is dirty I have had good luck with the CCI and believe it or not the "Aquila" ammo was not too bad either for the price.

lesclifton
12-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Hey...................I got promoted.......thanks....LOL

sasquatch
12-31-2011, 03:11 PM
You're right Les, I bought some of the Federal bulk and my 22A loves them. I have to take back what I said earlier about them not being all that clean, it seems Federal improved them, they are very clean now. I shot 40 through my 22A ,almost no carbon build up and just a few specks in the barrel. I'll have to find some of the Aquila and try it.

sasquatch
12-31-2011, 03:13 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot. I also have a Ruger 10/22 and it runs good with any of the ammo mentioned above.