PDA

View Full Version : Buying ammo at Wal Mart

sasquatch
02-09-2012, 01:31 AM
Can somebody tell me why it is that every time I buy ammo at Wal Mart the cashier asks me if it's for a handgun or rifle? I always tell them rifle anyways. IMO it's none of their business. One time I was buying 9mm ammo and said it was for a rifle, the cashier asked me if I was sure, said he'd never heard of a 9mm rifle, well, it was for my Hi Point 9mm carbine....durrr. I just don't get why they care what kind of firearm you're buying the ammo for. Maybe next time I'll tell them neither, I buy it to look at because it's shiny. :D

lesclifton
02-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Walmart has started tracking this due to guidence from their higher HQ. Although I have never received guidence from ATF for my gun shop, apparently some larger corporations are required to annotate ammunition sold for rifle, and ammunition sold for pistol. I am relly unsure of this rule and where it has derived from; however just another way for "someone" to look down on us.

sasquatch
02-10-2012, 04:46 PM
I suspected the ATF had their paws in this. I'm not surprised at all.

prestoncohunter
02-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Also, (at least I think this is still true) you can buy rifle ammo at 18 but must be 21 to buy "pistol" ammo. This is from years ago and memory and may well have changed.

sasquatch
02-17-2012, 12:12 AM
I forgot about that PCH, that's probably the reason they ask. Doesn't make much sense, whether it's for a rifle or a pistol, a gun is a gun.