PDA

View Full Version : Powders for reloading Rem 223

sasquatch
05-07-2012, 01:11 AM
All I have right now for reloading .223 is Hodgdon H322 and Varget. But I've been checking some load data books and found some pretty versatile powders I need to get. I thought I'd make a list of them here. I'll start with H322 and Varget since I've used them.

Hodgdon H322: It has a wide variety of load data for bullets from 40gr to 77gr, it meters well in my Lee Pro Auto Disk, provides decent velocity, and burns clean.

Hodgdon Varget: Load data is available for 40gr to 77gr bullets, it meters decently, Varget is a medium grain extruded powder so you have to make sure to jiggle your powder hopper once in awhile and weigh your loads every now and then to make sure they're consistent. It provides good velocity but you'll have to spend a little longer cleaning your rifle because it burns a little on the dirty side.

Hodgdon Benchmark: Load data available for 40gr to 80gr bullets, meters well, provides great velocity.

Hodgdon H335: Load data available for 40gr to 80gr bullets, meters well, provides good velocity, burns clean.

IMR 4895: Load data is available for 40gr to 90gr bullets. I've heard it meters well. Provides decent velocity.

Ramshot TAC: Load data available for 40gr to 90gr bullets, meters well, provides great velocity.

I'll update this post when I get to use more of the powders listed and maybe add a few more. If any of you other guys have a review on good 223 powders or have experience with those I listed, please post.

sasquatch
05-21-2012, 05:38 PM
I bought some H335 and TAC. H335 is quickly becoming my go-to powder for 223 loads. Tac provides the most power and velocity of the powders I have but I haven't been able to get the groups from it that I get from H335. Both meter extremely well and burn really clean.

Creeker
06-20-2013, 09:14 PM
H335 is a great powder this little case.