PDA

View Full Version : My First 1911

sasquatch
08-14-2013, 01:37 AM
Well, I finally broke down and bought a 1911.

https://members.gunnook.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=346&d=1376457395

It's a Rock Island Armory 1911A1 Tactical. My first impressions are that this is a very well put together gun, and it's very affordable. Haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, but when I do I'll write a review and range report.

Souldat
08-28-2013, 07:36 PM
Not a bad looking gun, I'm not a real big RIA fan but it does'nt appear to be a bad looking gun. How does it shoot?

sasquatch
10-25-2013, 02:08 AM
It shoots good....once I got a Chip McCormick mag for it, the ACT mag it came with causes failure to feed. I did some work to it also, polished the slide rails, feed ramp, barrel throat, and hood. I can't complain at all considering what I paid for it, it shoots accurately and reliably. More than happy with it.

77 wolfpack
01-23-2018, 01:42 AM
I know this is an old thread, but RIA has really stepped their game up. Sasquatch's RIA shoots just about as good as my Springfields. Admittedly there is a slight difference in how they act, but the RIA is a work horse. I would seriously look at getting a RIA Tac Ultra CS 2 if i could afford another pistol.

http://armscor.com/firearms/tac-series/tac-ultra-cs-45-acp/

sasquatch
01-25-2018, 02:19 PM
I know this is an old thread, but RIA has really stepped their game up. Sasquatch's RIA shoots just about as good as my Springfields. Admittedly there is a slight difference in how they act, but the RIA is a work horse. I would seriously look at getting a RIA Tac Ultra CS 2 if i could afford another pistol.

http://armscor.com/firearms/tac-series/tac-ultra-cs-45-acp/

Oh yeah, that's a nice one for sure!

Reviving this thread for updated pics of my RIA.

Put some Magpul grip panels on it, I really like the way they feel.
You can see I also added a rubber front strap I made from a cut up Hogue grip sleeve.

Had a cheapo compensator attached to it, but didn't really see the benefit other than increased muzzle weight, so I removed it.

That 10rd Chip McCormick Power Mag is awesome.

Pretty sure I have well over 1000 rounds through this 1911 and it's still going strong without any problems.
It's the gun I use to test out all my 45 ACP reloads also.

77 wolfpack
01-26-2018, 02:00 AM
compared to other 1911s you have fired what are the Pros and Cons of the RIA. Was any work needed on yours?

sasquatch
01-26-2018, 03:12 AM
compared to other 1911s you have fired what are the Pros and Cons of the RIA. Was any work needed on yours?

Obviously, the finish isn't generally as good as more expensive 1911's. The tolerances are probably a bit looser also, although it's not noticeable. Function seems be about the same.
I didn't have to do anything to it really, it ran right out of the box. Of course I had some failures to feed at first but that was due to the AMT magazine that came with it, not the gun.
I did polish the feed ramp, but I do that to all my new guns.

77 wolfpack
01-26-2018, 03:31 AM
What would you suggest for any replacement parts or upgrades? 1 or 2 piece guide rod, different springs to lighten/stiffen the trigger, different sights? I find the sold black sights on the RIA to be the only issue with them. Now RIA does offer fiber optic sights now. Would you suggest that as an upgrade?

sasquatch
01-26-2018, 09:17 PM
Not really. Mine is a 45 Tactical, so it already has the upgraded trigger, hammer, and beaver tail. Two piece guide rods are trouble, stay away, they aren't needed, they make John Moses Browning cry.
Same goes for flat recoil springs and recoil buffers. Some people opt for lighter recoil springs though.
If you want to spend the cash, then tritium night sights are a good upgrade. I'm not a fan of the plastic fiber optic sights, but some people like them.
I'm fine with the Novak sights on mine, the rear has two white dots, the front blade is black, but a bit of white paint takes care of that.
Take the time to find grips that feel right to you, not because they "look cool". The Magpul are ugly as sin, but damn do they feel good.