PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have an AR pistol?

sasquatch
01-25-2018, 08:57 PM
Some say they're just a range toy, I don't think so.
One of the only differences between the SBR's used by our military and an AR pistol is the stock.
And now with the ATF ruling on shouldering an AR brace, that difference isn't so much.
Choose the proper ammo and it can be awesome for self defense, home defense, and close quarters combat.

I have a Radical Firearms 10.5" AR pistol in 5.56. Yes, I know Radical Firearms has gotten a bad rap in the past due to separating barrels, but they seem to have corrected that awhile ago.
Mine has been flawless and I love it.

It came with a Sig Brace, but I was not a fan of it, so I replaced it with a Shockwave Blade brace on a Shockwave buffer tube. I later added the CAA cheek rest.

Also replaced the original A2 bird cage with a KAK slim-line flash can. Also added a AFG and thumb rest.

The ammo I use is Federal Fusion MSR 62gr. This ammo has been tested to expand properly when shot from short barrels.

77 wolfpack
01-26-2018, 01:44 AM
I have a lot of the parts needed to make most of a lower. I just need the proper buffer tube and components. As far as the upper is concerned, who would you suggest going through for a good upper? I see one company has the 11.5" AR pistol out, but i would prefer to stay with a 10.5" and get a good tip for the barrel so i dont blow my ear drums out.

sasquatch
01-26-2018, 03:01 AM
I have a lot of the parts needed to make most of a lower. I just need the proper buffer tube and components. As far as the upper is concerned, who would you suggest going through for a good upper? I see one company has the 11.5" AR pistol out, but i would prefer to stay with a 10.5" and get a good tip for the barrel so i dont blow my ear drums out.

I'd check out PSA (Palmetto State Armory), they have quality complete uppers for good prices, usually around $299.
As far as a lower receiver, they sell complete lower pistol receivers also. For that matter, they sell complete pistols.
And you will need a dedicated lower pistol receiver, the ATF is real touchy about that, heck you can get in trouble for just owning an AR stock and having an AR pistol. They cite that the intent is there to make an illegal SBR. Stupid.

Primary Arms is where I bought my pistol. For the muzzle device, there's a lot out there, I went with the KAK Industries flash can, it's cheap and does the job.

77 wolfpack
01-26-2018, 03:34 AM
Since i have the parts for the lower, ill stick to that, but PSA has been having an issue with their quality as of late. Would Midway be a better route or have you had any issues with them?

This would be for a designated pistol, because the ATF is always looking to screw over the law abiding citizen.

sasquatch
01-26-2018, 09:01 PM
Haven't heard very many complaints with PSA's uppers actually. A lot of people use them for builds in the circles I frequent. Sure, they aren't top of line, tier 1, but they are very serviceable, mid-level quality. I don't deal with Midway USA very much anymore, their shipping has gotten outrageous.

Yeah, The laws are confusing. A fresh AR lower receiver that has never been part of a firearm can be used to build a pistol, carbine or rifle. If a lower receiver is built into and registered as a pistol first, it can be stripped down and converted into a rifle in the future. If the receiver is built into a carbine or rifle first, it must always remain part of a rifle and cannot ever be used to build a pistol. Also, no vertical fore grips, but angled fore grips are ok.

And don't even think about getting near your AR pistol with a stock, if you do, it creates a singularity like that of a black hole, that ATF agents can sense, you'll see them peering at you over the event horizon salivating, waiting for the moment you attach it, then you're done, sucked in, you cease to be. :0aTongue_Out_Emoji_

77 wolfpack
01-28-2018, 01:26 AM
good to know. When i get it built, ill make sure to verify what that lower was labeled as so i dont run into any ATF issues

sasquatch
01-28-2018, 01:21 PM
The lower is usually designated as "pistol use" on the paperwork at the time of FFL transfer. This is why many companies just mark "Multi Cal." on their lowers now.