PDA

View Full Version : GOP Leaders Cram Gun Control into Spending Bill

sasquatch
03-22-2018, 10:31 PM
I'm not surprised at all.
McConnell and Ryan, with friends like these, who needs enemies.

In a secret meeting with only four participants, congressional leaders tacked gun control onto a massive government (Omnibus) funding bill.

This is not surprising, given that the four “deciders” were Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi, Paul Ryan, and Mitch McConnell.

The bill now contains “Take the Guns First” (Fix NICS) language to send millions of additional names to the FBI background check system.

These will include many veterans and older seniors, plus those with outstanding traffic tickets and medical marijuana cards.

But then there’s more.

The GOP’s “school safety proposal,” also buried in the more than 2,200 page bill, prohibits money from being used for guns and gun training.

So none of the Omnibus funds can be used to arm teachers -- or school resource officers, such as the hero who stopped a shooting at a Maryland school this week.

https://www.gunowners.org/alert032218.htm

sasquatch
03-23-2018, 02:24 AM
This bill has now passed the House and Senate. Headed to Trumps desk.
If he signs it, the liberals get everything they want and we once again get nothing.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/23/senate-passes-1-3-trillion-spending-bill-averting-another-government-shutdown.html

sasquatch
03-23-2018, 04:00 PM
Trump signed it. Even after admitting that no one read it.
He also said, "This is a bad bill and I will never sign another one like it."
Yeah, that's like a serial wife beater saying, "I'm sorry honey, I'll never hit you again."
We've been had by traitors and back stabbers.
This is horrible for America and our freedoms as gun owners.

sasquatch
03-23-2018, 04:31 PM
There is a lot of bad stuff in this bill.

No money toward border wall ( forbids it)
"Fix NICS": This will send millions of additional names to the FBI background check system. Expanding reasons for firearm purchase denials. These will include many veterans and older seniors, plus those with outstanding traffic tickets and medical marijuana cards.
Money for the CDC to investigate the "gun violence epidemic".
Reinstate Obama's gun rule that takes guns from the elderly
Tens of millions going to anti gun groups
Funding for planned parenthood
Forbids gov from training/arming teachers
Funds some huge tunnel project from NYC to NJ
And a bunch of payoffs for various junk nobody wants

And this abomination: "The CLOUD Act". The Globalists wet dream.

The Clarifying Overseas Use of Data (CLOUD) Act expands American and foreign law enforcement’s ability to target and access people’s data across international borders in two ways. First, the bill creates an explicit provision for U.S. law enforcement (from a local police department to federal agents in Immigration and Customs Enforcement) to access “the contents of a wire or electronic communication and any record or other information” about a person regardless of where they live or where that information is located on the globe. In other words, U.S. police could compel a service provider—like Google, Facebook, or Snapchat—to hand over a user’s content and metadata, even if it is stored in a foreign country, without following that foreign country’s privacy laws. Second, the bill would allow the President to enter into “executive agreements” with foreign governments that would allow each government to acquire users’ data stored in the other country, without following each other’s privacy laws.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/02/cloud-act-dangerous-expansion-police-snooping-cross-border-data

sasquatch
03-23-2018, 05:24 PM
As if signing this bill wasn't enough, now this.

Obama Administration legalized bump stocks. BAD IDEA. As I promised, today the Department of Justice will issue the rule banning BUMP STOCKS with a mandated comment period. We will BAN all devices that turn legal weapons into illegal machine guns.
Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 23, 2018

sasquatch
03-23-2018, 06:54 PM
And more BS.

Trump administration bans bump stocks, 'all devices' that turn 'legal' weapons into machine guns https://t.co/YJ3yUSMzaf

Fox News (@FoxNews) March 23, 2018

On Friday, Sessions announced that bump stocks fall within the definition of “machine gun” under federal law, as the devices allow a semiautomatic firearms to achieve a continuous firing cycle with the single pull of the trigger.

sasquatch
03-25-2018, 01:01 AM
I don't even know what to think anymore, this roller coaster ride is out of control. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

First this from The White House.

Text of a Letter from the President to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President of the Senate
BUDGET & SPENDING

Issued on: March 23, 2018

Dear Mr. Speaker: (Dear Mr. President:)

In accordance with section 6 of the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2018 (H.R. 1625; the “Act”), I hereby designate for Overseas Contingency Operations/Global War on Terrorism all funding (including the rescission of funds) and contributions from foreign governments so designated by the Congress in the Act pursuant to section 251(b)(2)(A) of the Balanced Budget and Emergency Deficit Control Act of 1985, as outlined in the enclosed list of accounts.

The details of this action are set forth in the enclosed memorandum from the Director of the Office of Management and Budget.

Sincerely,

DONALD J. TRUMP

And then these tweets:

Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war. Don't ever get down on yourself, just keep fighting - in the end, you WIN!

Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 23, 2014

Here's an explanation of what all this could mean:

Let's talk about what the President can and can't do for this Omnibus Bill. There's a lot of discussion both ways so let's examine how money gets allocated & spent in the US Government:

1. Congress allocates money to be spent. The President spends the allocated money.

2. Once Congress allocates money, their job is oversight of the money being spent. They don't spend the money and have no say HOW it gets spent as long as it's spent legally. That's their job to monitor with oversight.

3. Once the President is given the money with the instructions to spend it, he has a number of choices to make in spending it. There are some rules he has to follow & some of the money is fungible and some isn't.

4. However there are some other factors that are in play here. One of them is that the President has declared a Human Rights Emergency AND has notified Congress that he's invoking the Balanced Budget and Emergency Deficit Control Act of 1985.

5. This opens up new options.

6. By making these two declarations President Trump has just communicated that he has the authority to NOT spend any funds he doesn't deem necessary and will return them to the US Treasury. So, funds for Planned Parenthood? He can simply not allocate the funds.

7. Also, these declarations make some funds fungible. For instance if he determines that building a Wall on the Southern Border is a defense against Human Trafficking? He can move funds from anywhere else in the Defense Dept Allocation & simply build the Wall.

8. Congress is powerless to stop cash reallocations on an omnibus bill AND cannot stop the DOD from taking measures under a declared Emergency.

9. Despite their language in the Omnibus Bill about the Border Wall, it is trumped by the State of Emergency that Trump declared.

So in summary - This will go to the Courts. Congress will sue the President over the Border Wall. But here's how it will play out - Congress and the President are co-equal branches with different functions. Congress allocates. The President spends.

The President has National Security as his Primary Responsibility and it's his job to use whatever funds and declarations he needs to for that job. No Court in this Nation (except corrupt on the take Judges) would EVER rule against a President for exercising that authority.

In the end the Supreme Court (yes, that's where it will end) will fully VALIDATE the President's Constitutional Authority & the Wall will be built. John Salisbury (@5Strat) March 24, 2018

Is President Trump about to pull a fast one on the Democrats in Congress?
Would be nice if he chose not to fund The CLOUD ACT or the anti-gun measures in the bill.
Stay tuned, it can only get more wacky.

77 wolfpack
03-25-2018, 01:26 AM
With a lot of his language and the way he is behaving, i do not trust that man right now. He outright flipped a switch and i dont know if its because the gold plating has worn off or if he has been a liar all along. He has become the swamp and until i see some real power returned to our rights, i dont trust anything he says.

sasquatch
03-25-2018, 01:40 AM
With a lot of his language and the way he is behaving, i do not trust that man right now. He outright flipped a switch and i dont know if its because the gold plating has worn off or if he has been a liar all along. He has become the swamp and until i see some real power returned to our rights, i dont trust anything he says.

I'm right there with you. I don't buy into cults of personality, or hero worship, never have.
And I don't place my trust easily, at least not in a mortal man, we're all fallible.
I voted for Trump, but I did not fall for all that he said.
Especially when he wrote in his book that he was for a weapons ban and other gun control all those years ago, and when he said that Obama spoke for him after he addressed the nation after Sandy Hook.
It takes more than telling me what I want to hear to get my trust.
No, it takes actions and following through on your promises to win me over.